Saturday 8 December 2012

Lydia Williams

“threads of green”

This piece of work concludes an in-depth study of the native lichens of North Wales, specifically those that grow in the forest around Abergwyngregyn.
I have explored traditional hand and machine techniques in order to produce work that is sensitive to the organic fluid forms of the lichens and their colour.
From the beginning I have used weave as a way for me to channel my desire to construct a surface and mix colour. I find the process of transforming string into cloth fascinating. In order to create a shifting of colour within my woven samples I have hand painted the warp before weaving. This unpredictable colour mixing between the warp and weft threads is what reflects the variable colour of the lichens.
The Cornelli machine allows me to be fluid and gestural with my stitch. Working from drawings and photographs I was able to be spontaneous with the lichen forms. Combining this exploration of the drawn shape of the lichens with the hand stitched surface detail has created beautiful forms that exaggerate the size, surface and colours of the lichens.




No comments:

Post a Comment