Saturday 8 December 2012

Joy Morris

Decoding the Unnoticed
(On-going project)

To me, the Northern Quarter is a place of hidden gems: vintage shops to stumble across, charming record shops, and tucked away cafes. In my work I look at the truly hidden aspects of our city within the unnoticed and unwanted marks we often pass.

I work from found and uncontrolled visuals such as peeled paint, torn posters and cracked paving. To illustrate my interest in these unintended marks I apply time consuming and systematic processes to further the uncontrollable nature of these surroundings.

In my work I convert my photographs into code and translate randomised symbols into visually complex pieces. I am attempting to create eye capturing pieces using usually overlooked marks.

Using a system of chance to decide their placement, I have separated and scattered a series of six tiles around the Northern Quarter. These pieces can either be stumbled across or looked for using a map I have provided.

I have no control over the temporary nature of putting my work outside however all photographs can be found on my blog.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment